- The original codebase has been heavily modified to make it compatible with Joomla 2.5 and Joomla 3.x.
- VirtueShop uses the Joomla language system for multilanguage elements but has an option to use legacy VirtueMart language system.
- VirtueShop maintained backward compatibility with VirtueMart theme/template system. Users can choose to stick to their legacy VirtueMart template. In parallel with the legacy system, VirtueShop also adopted the more flexible Joomla template override system. Users/developers can choose to migrate their theme/template system to this new Joomla system gradually. 3rd party designers can also make use of the new system to distribute their template as overrides.
- VirtueShop introduced a new plugin system that is compatible with Joomla plugins. Right now the plugin system just supports a few events such as OrderCreated and OrderStatusChange. The plugin system will further expand in the future to provide more flexibility to users. With the new plugin system, sites using paypal method can choose to send order emails AFTER payment has been confirmed.
- Joomla 2.5 and Joomla 3.x introduced a different user group control; hence we had to make necessary changes to get VirtueShop 3.0 working in both versiona of Joomla. As a result, some of the user group related features of VirtueMart will work differently or even does not work.
- Added a more flexible variant/attribute structure. We extended the advanced attribute to allow various display options such as dropdown (single or multi-select), radio buttons, check boxes, text box etc. All these options can carry different price tag just like the original advanced attribute. (We feel that attribute is a misnomer and should be replaced with variant. We keep the name “attribute” to avoid confusion in this beta version. In the future, the name attribute will be gradually deprecated.)
- In view of the new variant/attribute structure, custom attribute will not be needed. However, we have kept custom attribute so that it work the same as before. (Please note that custom attribute will probably be deprecated in the future.)
- The flexible variant/attribute structure will allow easier integration with existing hacks such as custom attribute extended.
- Added support for Admin approved user registration. (New feature in Joomla 2.5 onwards)
- Added Captcha support in VirtueShop forms. (new feature in Joomla 2.5 onwards.)
- Added excel import/export functions
- Added SEF support.
- Added product image name options.
- Added pre-order and sold out options.
- Added access.xml and config.xml to allow Joomla Component Configuration control.
- Added ajax price update when attribute changes in the frontend.
- Added Product and Category access to use Joomla View Level. User can assign what products and what categories can be seen by each Joomla Access Level. By creating new Access Levels and Joomla User Groups (eg Retailers etc.), the visibility of each product and each category can be set to different Joomla user group.
- Added custom field to product so that user can define fields that will apply to all products.
- Added child products radio button option.
- Added sorting in product sales in frontend.
- Added support for meta info in product and category.
- Removed support for Extended Menu.
- Added Coupon start date, expiration date and usage minimum order limit.
- Added Manufacturer logo.
- Added PayPal Advanced Payment Method
- Added saleable Pin code option
- Added AvaTax
- Added Category image to browse page
- Added Product image to cart
- and many bug fixes and minor new features.
VirtueShop is an Open-source PHP based E-commerce solution for selling tangible and virtual products over the Internet.
It's a component for a Content Management System called Joomla and cannot be used without it. It installs fairly easy using the automatic Component and Module Installer. It is intended for use in small to mid-size businesses.
VirtueShop is released under the GNU General Public License. It is free to download and use.
VirtueShop offers a lof of features, some of the standard features are listed here. Please note that you can extend the functionality of Joomla and VirtueShop using Plugins, Components, Templates and Modules to make them do what you need.
- Capable of using Secure Sockets Layer (https) Encryption (128-bit)
- Flexible Tax Models
- Model 1: Zone based Tax Calculation (Based on Customer Address)
- Model 2: Vendor based Tax Calculation
- Model 3: AvaTax
- Model 4: EU Mode (Vendor based Tax Calculation when Customer is from an EU Country)
- Customers can manage their User Accounts (registration required)
- Shipping Address Management
- Order History: Customer can view all their previous Orders
- Customizable Order Confirmation email sent to Customer and Vendor
- Multi-Currency (allow customers to change the default currency and buy using an alternative Currency)
- Multilingual (using 3rd party Joomla extensions such as JoomFish).
Product Catalog Features
- Manage an unlimited number of Products and Categories,
- Use as a Shop or as an Online-Catalog (you can even turn off Price Display)
- Search based on Products, Categories and Manufacturers; filter by features or discounted Products
- Product Review and Ratings (moderated or auto-published)
- Feature specific Products by setting them "on special"
- Product Availability (show how fast a Customer can expect delivery)
- Downloadable Products
- Pre-order Products
- Sold Out Products
- Auto notify when Product is back in stock
- Multiple Images and Files (like Spec Sheets and Flyers) per Product,
- Product Variants (like Size or Color) can be added to Products,
- Unlimited Custom Product Fields (add Fields specific to your shop),
- Product Types for Classification (like "Car", "Motorbike" or "Music Album"),
- Product Families (group of products with the same type),
- Shopper Groups for Customers (allows different Price Levels and Payment Options),
- Category and Product show only to specific Joomla groups,
- Multiple Prices per Product (Quantity-based and/or Shopper Group-based Prices)
- Flexible Price Display (number & currency formatting; including or excluding tax)
- On-the-Fly Price Conversion between different Currencies
- On-the-fly Price Change with different selection of product variants
- Shop Statistics / Control Panel with a Summary of new Customers, new Orders....
- Stock Level Control for Products and Items
- Order Management with Order History, Customer Notification and Order Edit Functionality
- Basic Reporting Feature: sold Items, monthly&yearly Revenue
- Order Status Management
- Manage different Currencies, Countries & States
- Capable of live Credit Card Processing
- 19 bundled Payment Gateways, Authorize.net®, PayPal Standard, PayPal Advanced, PayPal Pro, 2Checkout, eWay, Worldpay, PayMate, NoChex, Verisign PayFlow Pro, ePay, iKobo, iTransact, Merchant Warrior, PayMeNow, eProcessingNetwork, PaySbuy, Cash on Delivery and Purchase Order
- Extend your Shop with other Payment Modules using the Payment Module API
- Flexible Shipping Carriers and Rates Configuration
- Live Shipping Rates using USPS, UPS, FedEx, InterShipper or Canada Post
- Extend your Shop with other Shipping Modules using the Shipping Module API
Short note on Project History: VirtueShop is a fork of VirtueMart which is the successor of mambo-phpShop. mambo-phpShop was the first port of phpShop to Mambo. phpShop was developed by Edikon Corp and the phpShop community http://www.phpshop.org.
VirtueShop Shopping Cart Features
VirtueShop is designed feature rich, easy to use, search engine friendly.
Unlimited CategoriesUnlimited number of categories is one of the most important E-commerce features, this feature from VirtueShop helps you manage your categories or the entire category structure easily, insert, update and delete an unlimited number of categories from your admin or frontend.
VirtueShop E-commerce solution has the support for assigning an unlimited number of products in a category, we also have the functionality for assigning one product to multiple categories.
Product Review and Rating
Reviews and Ratings increase sales and build customer loyalty, reviews provide reassurance to the customer during the decision making process, relieving them of insecurities they may otherwise have, collect and leverage reviews and rating from your customers, let people sell for you by gathering their opinions, learn from their feedback to improve your products and services.
With Multi-Template you can style different layout for different categories even displaying products differently.
Multi-currency enables customers to convert product prices in a currency of their choice, and complete the order in their chosen currency, the order will still be processed in the default currency.
Complete Multilingual support with over 12 languages. You can easily add your own language too.
Over 15 Payment Gateways
Over 10 Shipping Solutions
VirtueShop has the following System Requirements:
You must ensure that you have MySQL, XML and Zlib-Support built into your PHP.
PHP should be compiled with support for https (openSSL) and cURL
PHP Safe Mode should be turned Off.
PHP Safe Mode feature has been DEPRECATED as of PHP 5.3.0 and REMOVED as of PHP 5.4.0
- In PHP configuration set memory_limit to 64M or higher and upload_max_filesize to 4M or higher
- SSL certificate for secure payment processing